Monday, June 20, 2011

Some Great Web 2.0 Recommendations for the Classroom

When I first saw statements in our assignment about Web 2.0, I'll be honest that I had no idea what it was referring to. Little did I know that I was using these websites basically on a daily basis!

After viewing several of these websites, I have a couple of websites that I know I can make a good recommendation on because, like I said, I use these every day almost!

Recommendation #1: Blogger



I cannot express my love for Blogger since I am a blogging addict! I have my own blog {aside from this one} AND I read blogs every single day. Blogger makes it so easy for you to follow other blogs that you find, so that you can continue reading. It's very easy to use for the person who knows nothing about the ins and outs of it. If you can use Microsoft Word, you can definitely use Blogger.

Of course, if you want to get a bit more advanced, with a little research you can add so many things to your blog to make it your own. Take my personal blog for instance. It hasn't always looked like that, but with a little research on the World Wide Web, it has now evolved to what it is today. I hope it doesn't end there though. My goal is for it to be professionally developed to make it even more user-friendly for readers.

What's great about blogger is that it is an excellent outlet to communicate with others. As educators, you can use Blogger as a resource to keep parents involved. Each week you can make a post about what all your students have been doing, and you can even take some photos of their work to include. When parents know what's going on, they will really appreciate the hard work that we teachers truly put in.

Recommendation #2: Pinterest

Pinterest on the other hand makes me want to shout from the roof tops! I swear that if you ever get started on this bookmarking/cataloging website, that you will be officially addicted. I visit this website at least once per day. Just when the day starts to get overwhelming, I can go to this website and find inspirational photos that make everything all better.



So, let me tell you a little about the website. You have to have an invitation. You can request an invitation on the website, or someone who has an account can invite you. Once you get an account, you can add the bookmarking tool to your favorites bar. When you come to a picture that you want to remember, you can "pin" the picture to your boards that keep all of your pins organized.

Seriously...go get an invite! I promise you want be disappointed!

4 comments:

  1. I have truly enjoyed reading all of your blogs and must say that I am quite envious of how effortless it is for you. BOTH of your blogs are beautifully set up and I have enjoyed following how you incorporate technology into a 2nd grade class. Thank you so much for your kind words on my own blog about the 2.0 Sites. I am much like you and I am VERY excited to use Quizlet and Glogster in my own classroom. I am actually teaching a class this summer to some high school students and going to have them use Glogster for a project on the biomes of the world. It will be their first time using it and my first time incorporating it into the classroom. I plan on postings all their amazing glogs when they are finished at the end of July, so stay tuned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brenna!My name is Cheyenne Ikner, and I teach at Huxford Elementary School! I was excited to find someone in my class that is close to home. I have really enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenna! My name is Bridgett Tate, and I want to say thanks for posting on my blog. I feel honored since you seem to be the expert blogger! I have really enjoyed reading your blogs because you are so cheerful and creative! I have become a fan of blogging thanks to you and your friend who also blogs. Good luck as you continue to blog & teach 2nd graders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Popping by to say Hi. You were spotlighted in my Blog Mix Linky Party.

    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete