Monday, June 20, 2011

An Easy Choice of Multimedia



I think the easiest form of multimedia to incorporate into any classroom is the always reliable, PowerPoint, a type of presentation software. It can be especially great for many reasons, and I'm going to include some ways to show you how I use the PowerPoint to its fullest potential in my classroom.



If I can find a way to use a PowerPoint with kindergarteners, you will surely be able to find a way to use it with other grades. Now that I'm moving up to 2nd grade, PowerPoints and I are becoming good friends.

I think the best way to tackle this is bullet style, so here it goes!

  • When you're teaching vocabulary words, students need something concrete to see this abstract idea. The best way to do this is to either provide a graphic that the students can relate the word to. OR, you can even link up a video clip to further explain the word.

  • On top of explaining vocabulary words, you can also practice the usage of words with your students by setting up sentences with blanks. By becoming familiar with all of the options PowerPoint provides, a teacher can set up the animations where words will only appear when the slide is clicked on in the order the teacher wants.

  • I also use PowerPoints to just guide my general whole class instruction. It is a great organizational tool to make sure you stay on track. The students enjoy it because I can incorporate extra graphics, audio, as well as links to websites that offer further information about what we're talking about. I especially love to incorporate videos!

  • Furthermore, PowerPoints can be set up at computer centers for the kids to practice skills that were taught earlier. they can review what was taught. Then, at the end of the PowerPoint, the last few slides can include questions for the kids to answer on a given sheet of paper.

  • Last, but not least, PowerPoints can help in intervention instruction for the struggling students. Instead of having to spend money on paper or index cards, a teacher can form a PowerPoint where the students can practice reading words or sentences.

  • Just when I thought that was going to be the last point, I thought of something else! The PowerPoints that were used for instruction can be put on a classroom website or emailed to students for use outside of school. If a particular student needs more scaffolding, the PowerPoint can be editted to fit the needs of the student and add more help to the presentation, then the PowerPoint can be emailed to that particular student. Then, that student will not feel like they were pointed out in the class. Instead, it can be done without any of the other students having to know.
A great website for videos to incorporate into your instruction is from:
discoveryeducation.com .

If you use Reading Street by Scott Foresman, Waltke's Web is an excellent resource full of PowerPoints, activities, and reinforcement.

I hope some of you can use some of my tips!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading about all of the different ways to use powerpoint. It is a great tool to use in the classroom. At our school, most of of classrooms have promethean boards and powerpoint's are a must. I teach special education and one of my students has trouble writing. Powerpoint is great for him because the teachers are able to print off all the slides they will be using for the day and he can follow along instead of spending all of his time writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, another PowerPoint fan!! I like your suggestions, especially to email students. This would be very helpful if a student was absent or needs the reinforcement. I also use Discovery Education! LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete