Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Great Uses for Technology in the Classroom

Over the past couple of weeks, lots of focus has been put on various types of software that can be used for various reasons in the classroom. Those types of software include drill and practice, tutorial, simulation, instructional games, problem solving, and integrated learning systems.

Below, you'll be able to find an example of each type of software that I would like to use in my classroom, and hopefully you will, too.


Time to explore...

DRILL AND PRACTICE


This particular software is for math, and it offers a set of five skill programs. What I loved about this software is how child friendly it is. The menus are very easy to understand, and I personally like the fact that there are very few buttons for the children to click on, which will prevent any confusion while using the program.

What I also love about this software is that it provides instruction, then practice, and it finally asseses the student on the particular skill taught. In addition to this, it also provides audio for those students who are emerging readers. Students can also pick up where they left off.

If I had this software in my classroom, I would use this as a math center opportunity. Or, I would also use this software as an opportunity to introduce a new skill to the students. The students could first be taught with this software by using a mobile lab in the classroom. Then, the students could practice and print their quiz results for my assessment to know which students need further instruction.

The picture above is actually from one of the programs. If you would like to find out more, click on the photo to be led to the link.

TUTORIAL

Smart Tutor is an excellent software choice for elementary students in reading, as it provides individualized instruction. We, as teachers, know that some students really excel in some areas, but struggle in others. Therefore, there is no need in wasting time in an area that the student does not need further instruction in. Instead, it is necessary to focus further and more intensely on the skills that are being struggled with.

Therefore, I would use this software in my computer center at school. Different students are at these centers each day, as I rotate centers each day. To make sure the students are using their time wisely and most effectively, I would use this software so that their most needed skills would be chosen for the student to work on to strengthen them in those concepts.

SIMULATION

Celestia is an excellent simulation software to use in allowing students to explore space right from their seat! Since in our elementary school, science is integrated into the reading curriculum, I find this a very innovative way to get students interested further in what is being taught. They would have the chance to experience space instead of just learning about it from a book.

I would use the mobile lab to have students explore space on their own. After using the software, I would have students write about what all they saw. What was space like? The students could even use what they saw in the simulation to display their learning using art. If students get a chance to see what space is really like, their learning is deeper and so will their work.

INSTRUCTIONAL GAMES

The Mia Collection




For the instructional game that I chose, I would incorporate this into the classrom as a reward. On Fridays, students have more time to explore various opportunities while I assess the students in different areas such as oral reading fluency. To keep students learning, but giving them the opportunity for fun, I would allow particular students who did exceptionally well during the week use the program.

Click on the picture to be taken to the website!

INTEGRATED LEARNING SYSTEM:

ALEKS for K-12: Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces

Can I just say that I love this software? It's amazing the capabilities it has! This software is very interactive and depends on authentic learning by the student. Guessing a multiple choice answer is not an option in this software since it doesn't use them. Instead, it soley depends on what the student is applying and retaining. It produces problems that the student can apply in real world situations.

If I had to use this software, I would find this to be a great asset to my students who need extra help, but are not getting one-on-one instruction on that particular day. Or, I could have my students use this software while I am working with a small group. Because it allows me to track my student progress, I can see just how my students are doing. Plus, it does not give every student the same thing. It assesses students and gives them individualized instruction to needed areas. In addition to this, it also correlates with each state's standards! A simply amazing tool in the classroom!

PROBLEM SOLVING



This looks like some software that I will purchasing for my new 2nd grade classroom. It's interactive. It forces children to use problem solving skills and critical thinking skills. Plus, it focuses on the important concepts that are taught in 1st and 2nd grade.

I believe I could also use this in a reading/computer center. It would be a great way to change the pace of things every now and then. After all, the students wouldn't want to do the same thing every single time they get a chance to go to the computer center.

Not only does it look like software I could use in a center, but it also looks like software I could use in a whole group setting. When extra time is to be had, I could pull this software up for the entire class to see. Then, we could solve the problems as a class.

...............................................................................................................................

I hope you all find the software ideas I provided helpful! Enjoy your week!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job on this post! The pictures that you put in really was a great touch!

    ReplyDelete